"The reason people don’t go for help is because there’s still a stigma. Because people don’t talk about mental illnesses the way they do other illnesses." - Maria Bamford
I relayed this joke to my clinical supervisor a few weeks ago when we were talking about doctors not viewing mental illness as a legit reason to fill out disability paperwork. NAILED IT
what a gem what a pearl beyond rubies is laura jane grace
do u think aggressive white athiests can ever understand that for many people of color not only our belief in a deity but also our organized religious spaces are essential sources of comfort and strength when facing the institutionalized and cultural racism thrown at us every day?
that abandoning our faith would mean assimilating into a culture that actively dehumanizes us?
spoiler alert: no
- Environmental racism is the geographic relationship between environmental degradation and low-income or minority communities.
- The people populating areas within 2 miles of our nation’s hazardous waste facilities are by majority of color.
- Racial disparities of color exist in 9 out of 10 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regions.
- Existing laws and land-use controls have not been adequately applied in order to reduce health risks for those living in or near toxic “hot spots”.
- African Americans are 79 percent more likely than whites to live in neighborhoods where industrial pollution is suspected of causing the greatest health dangers.
- A Commission for Racial Justice study found that three of the five largest waste facilities dealing with hazardous materials in the United States are located in poor black communities.This study also showed that three out of every five African American and Latinos live in areas near toxic waste sites, as well as live in areas where the levels of poverty are well above the national average.
- Poverty-stricken Native American communities face some of the worst toxic pollution problems in the country.
- “Approximately half of all Native Americans live in communities with an uncontrolled toxic waste site,” according to the Commission for Racial Justice.
- Living near toxic waste facilities and in low income housing affects almost every aspect of life including food, water, and air. Homes, schools, and workplaces are deemed unsafe because of environmental hazards in the buildings, which are dilapidated and outdated.
- Children of color who live in poor areas are more likely to attend schools filled with asbestos, live in homes with peeling lead paint, and play in parks that are contaminated.
- These same children are nearly 9 times more likely than economically advantaged children to be exposed to lead levels so high they can cause severe learning disabilities and neurological disorders. 96 percent of African American children who live in inner cities have unsafe amounts of lead in their blood.
la la la la…. extrapolating predictive service numbers for a grant application at midnight. weeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
for as long as you’ve been alive.
You could spit fire if you wanted.
|—||Clementine von Radics (via so-treu)|
my neighbor one building over has a hound dog and it won’t stop crying. it’s so sad.
sleep droopy puppy, sleep.
"if you were polite and nice with your activism we’d listen" no you wouldn’t you fucking liars
its really important to make sure you really like a person for who they really are and not just the idea of them
things that would’ve been useful to know a decade ago
Engraved Zippo lighters from the Vietnam War.
this is fucking incredible
we all know butch was the baddest ass mother fucker here
she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts
she’s cheer captain and I respect her right to wear whatever she wants and participate in traditionally ‘feminine’ activities because I understand that life is not about condemning another woman’s personal choices just because she doesn’t ‘deserve’ the boy i have a crush on
Green ranger’s been watching Lucha Libre, I see.
Yo, that’s hella dope.
That was so beautiful